This post explains how to create a JAR (Java ARchive) file for a Java project.
Steps to create a JAR file for a Java project
The steps to create a JAR file for a Java project are:
- Ensure your project takes into account all considerations
- Build JAR file
- (optional) Set the icon for your JAR file
1. Ensure your project takes into account all considerations
Follow the instructions on this external link.
2. Build JAR file
JAR file is built automatically from IDE like Eclipse or Apache NetBeans.
3. Set the icon for your JAR file
You cannot change the default JAR icon of your application.
Instead, you can generate an OS version of your program where you can add an icon. Some third-party tools aid to create simple native ‘wrapper’ of the JAR file.
The tool JPackage is availabe from OpenJDK 16 and version above, and it provides the functionality to create exec files.
If you want to add an icon, you cannot do it directly to the JAR file, because it is Java application that defines the default icon. You need to use a wrapper app that allows to customize the icon.
- Apache NetBeans; “Packaging and distributing Java Desktop Applications“; Apache NetBeans
- StackOverflow users; “Set icon for executable JAR file“, StackOverflow
[…] To create a JAR file, you can follow the instructions of this post. […]